One of the most commonly ingested foods or candy by dogs is chocolate. Chocolate is easily accessible in most homes and because a dog will generally eat the entire box or plate of brownies you should be aware of the potential complications cause from chocolate ingestion. The active ingredient in chocolate is theobromine which causes a number of symptoms ranging from hyperactivity, vomiting, diarrhea, heart arrhythmia to rapid heart rates (tachycardia). Different types of chocolate contain higher levels of theobromine; baking and dark chocolate can have four times the amount of theobromine as milk chocolate or chocolate chips. Because there is a range in the amount of theobromine and a pet’s weight it is important to contact your veterinarian to see if your pet needs emergency treatment. Emergency treatment should be given as soon as the ingestion is noted.
Call Your Veterinarian or Animal Urgent Care at (760) 738-9600